Trekking season is on and if you are thinking of heading to some great trekking destination around Mumbai and Pune, go for ‘The Andharban Trek’. Andharban or Dark Forest trek as it is being called upon is among the most sought after trekking route of Maharastra. This trek is a unique one where you will not only get the thrill of walking under the dense forest cover and will also get to see the Plus valley region -The source for Kundalika river.The best time to do Andharban Jungle trek is during the monsoon and the months during post monsoon season. The trek is rated as of moderate difficulty, only because of its relatively long route. And with good fitness and enjoyable friends the whole route will take no more than 5 hours. The Andharban trek end point is at Bhira Dam, whichis also known as among the best River Rafting sites in Maharastra
The start point of this trek is at Pimpri Dam,Tamhini ghat .Reaching there is pretty much easy .And if your concern is for vehicle parking then you need not have to worry .As there are ample space available for 50 buses .Your vehicle driver has to just drop you off near Pimpri Dam and then have o move towards the Andharban Trek end point i.e Bhira dam some 36km away from the start point.
A recently update – some locals have started collecting Rs 50 per person as entry fee .
Thick vegetation all around
Once you start you will find that the path is pretty much laid out .For caution and gidance of trekkers,tags have beeing placed throughout the path .One can also hire a local guide at the start point for as low as Rs 500 .
You will start the trek which is at an altitude of 2100 fts and it involves downward gradual descent till bhira dam .The most intimidating factor of this 13+ kms long trek is walking through the dense and dark forest cover .You will be amazed to hear the call of the forest and the breathtaking views of valleys with inumerable waterfalls will blow your mind .
Hirdi Village is the resting point for the trekkers , that serves as the only human habitation in the entire route.Villagers of hirdi care small in count and serves butter milk and basic rice and dal food .The trek concludes at yet another dam called the Bhira dam which is also the source of the Kundalika river which is famous for its White Water Rafting. 30% of the trek is all descend and remaining is normal walking.
While on the route we can see the beauty of places like Ghangad, Tailbaila, Sarasgad, Plus valley, Tamhini ghat, Kundalika valley.
Best Time to do the Andharban Jungle Trek
The best time to trek the Andharban trek is during the Monsoon season i.e from the month of June till August.
Andharban trek route map from Pune
There are two routes that can be taken to reach the Andharban trek starting point.
1) The fastest and the easiest route for the guys residing in the Viman Nagar/Hadapsar/Kdhadki/pimple Saudagar/ wakad are is the route via Hinjewadi IT park .
2) The second route is for the guys residing near the Pimpri/Dhayari/Karvenagar/Warje area is the route via Bavdhan.
Both the above route merge at Paud and then a common route via the Tamhini ghat road route. Then take the MCKS Ashram Road to reach the Andharban trail point start .
Things to Keep in mind before planning for the Andharban trek
– Road condition : To reach the Andharban trek starting point, the roads leading goes through the Tamhini Ghat. The ghats roads are not good and can get choked at some points like near Khadakwasla Dam. So plan your travel well.
– Drinking water :The whole routes has some beautiful waterfalls, but the water quality during monsoon is questionable. So keep ample water stock with you.
– Footwares : The route is through dense jungle so, there may be chances of encountering leeches or snakes. So always prefer High ankle shoes with good sole grip.
– Waste Disposal : Enjoy the trek and do not throw away your litters.